background

Friday, December 12, 2008

Fa la la la la la la la la la.

Hi folks and Merry Christmas. I know I've been a bit scarce of late, and I think it must be a personality trait of mine, when I get stressed out, I become silent. Sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes not so good. I'm going to be asking you for help, so a brief rundown is called for:

Daniel's unemployment ran out 3 weeks ago. We continued to file for benefits, because that's how you access the emergency unemployment. Well, a week or so later he got a letter in the mail that he had not paid in enough to qualify for the emergency unemployment benefits. Normal unemployment here in NC is 26 weeks. Daniel got 13 weeks. I guess because of the amount of time he worked here in NC, or maybe the dollar amount. I don't know, I can't figure out the "ever changing to not help out those in need" rules from day to day. Sorry, I don't mean to sound bitter, in fact, I'm a happy person even with no money. The problem is, My landlord isn't of the mind that just because we lost our income that we get a "pass". The Electric company, same thing. The house we live in is all electric, and we've had an unseasonably cold Autumn, so the heat has been running, and the light bill is $180.00 this month. My mom has made sure that the kids have a Christmas. It will be lighter than the norm, but that's ok, my kids are loved and don't need much. I know I should ask my church for help, but to be honest, I haven't gone to church. I will, I need to, I want to, BUT... How hypocritical to start going just to ask for help? I can't do it. That's why I'm here, laying it on the line to you. Those of you who "know" me because we've been "e-friends" for awhile, know that this is not something I do on a regular basis, nor have I ever done. I just hope that some of you are in a position to help. I'm looking for work, have been to two staffing agencies and on one interview, which that company is looking to interview a few more people next week and make a decision the week after that. I'm told I'm in the running for that one, and I certainly hope for the best, but if they haven't already decided on me, who says they will?? I look everyday for work, send off my resume whenever I see something I can do, but I know that I'm not anywhere near the only person in the same boat, and I don't know how long it will be before there's actually an income. Daniel installs HVAC units in new construction homes. New construction does not exist in NC right now due to the economy. One of us needs to stay home with PJ, because we don't have, nor can we afford daycare. It SHOULD be easier for me to find work than Daniel; he looks everyday, but there's nothing out there for him right now.
My mom, on a very limited income, will of course let us move back in with her, if it comes to that. Let me just say that I will do that if it comes to that, but NONE of us want to move, and especially into her little house. There's really no room for us. I just think that with another month or two, one of the two of us can land a job so that we can remain independent.
So that's where we are. In my profile there are a few different ways to get a hold of me, or you can comment here and I'll send you my address, If you are in a position to help. This is not easy, but we really need a hand. If you've made it to the end of this post, thank you for reading. Thank you for caring.

5 comments:

Leah Spring said...

Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry you're in this tough spot right now! I have been there too many times to count! But, somehow, some way, it always works out. At least, in a worst case scenario, you have your mom's to go to, and not be without a roof over your head. Small concession, I know. There are sooooo many people looking for work right now. What a scary time for everyone!

My name is Sarah said...

Hi Kathy, This is Joyce, Sarah's mom. Oh how I hate what is happening to our country right now. My heart goes out to you. Have you applied for SSI for PJ? If not, Ds is on the short list, so benefits can be expedited, and it is a cash payout.

I'm not sure what part of NC you are in but maybe 211-First call for Help is in your area. Just dial 211 on your home or cell phone to see and they may help direct you to some sources.

I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Shea said...

Is there a utility assistance program that will pay the light bill? Most places have some sort of thing like that. I'm thinking.....

Shea said...

http://www.4042needs.org/programs/resources/utilities.html

Somewhere on there it says they might help pay rent.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Kathy, email me please! CAmommy2KJ@aol.com