background

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A death in the family

A death in the family…

My mother-in-law passed away on Monday. Heaven has a new angel, one that can now run, and breathe, and play. The whole family is so sad. She was only 51 years old. She’d been sick for a long time, but was still very much a part of the family. She loved her family so much. She was such a loving and kind woman. She was patient and generous with her time, she did not speak badly of people. She did not push her opinion. She had learned lessons in life that I still struggle with, and had such a peace. She loved Jesus and prayed without ceasing. In my presence she was never judgmental or critical of others. She looked for and found the best qualities in a person and focused on those, rather than seeing one’s shortcomings. She loved her children and grandchildren, her husband, her mother and her siblings. I am proud to have known her. I feel as if she helped me to become a better person, a better wife, a better mother. I wish that I had spent more time learning from her. Why is it that we often get so busy in life that we fail to realize how special someone is until we are left without them? Or is it only me?

None of the old mother in law jokes ever applied. I was always good enough for her son, and she never stopped telling me. I love you Suzie. I will miss you terribly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Kathy. I'll be thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.

Leah Spring said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Many many prayers!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I'm sorry Kathy :(. You were so blessed to have such a wonderful mother-in-law.

Kristen said...

My sympathy to your family! ((HUGS))

Shea said...

She sounds like an amazing woman. I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were very fortunate to have her in your life.

CoryTraumaRN said...

Just letting you know, no matter where I post, you are in my prayers. All the time, everyday. I miss you!

Becca said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. She was so young! It sounds like the two of you had a wonderful relationship, and I'm sure those times with her will make fond memories.