background

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Reflections and forward thoughts

For the new year of 2008
Current mood: contemplative
Category: Life

Wow. I've noticed since becoming a new-old mommy the number of blogs I post has decreased. Today Becca and Daddy are helping me with PJ, so I can take a little more time for myself. One reason I wanted to blog was to wish everybody a happy and safe celebration of "out with the old and in with the new."

My life encountered a whole bunch of changes in 2007.
I found out I was to have a baby. - shocker of the century
I found out my baby was to have down syndrome.
I lost my job.
My husband lost his job.
PJ was born.
We ended up moving away from our home of 4 years.
We moved into my mom's now very crowded house to begin again.

There are at least a dozen more, but you get the drift. I guess the beginning of a new calendar year, for me, doesn't necessarily signify a new beginning. I've had a lot of new beginnings, and not one that I can think of correspond with 01/01 of any given year.

Daniel is working, full-time (almost) since Thanksgiving, so that's good. We're hoping he can find a better paying job, so that I can continue to stay home with PJ. I just don't know what I'll do if my only option is to leave him. It was very hard with Rebecca when she was 7 weeks old, but I'm sure I'll really have a breakdown if I have to do it with PJ - my eyes tear up when I even think about it.

So, I'm still struggling with county, state and federal agencies on PJ's behalf, I've learned a good deal about "the system" but am still a novice, I'm sure. I have a new family, too. They are the parent's and siblings and individuals themselves with down syndrome. It's different than a club, because you voluntarily join a club. It's a family because very few of us asked to be in it. I don't want to make it sound like I'm unhappy in this new family, because I'm not, at all. My new family is huge, and loving, and supportive, and experienced, and educated, and they happily share any and all relevant knowledge. They are always ready with a tissue, a shoulder, or kudos and praise, whichever happens to be appropriate.

So, in closing, I want you all to know that I wish you a wonderful 2008, but that it already started, days ago. I wish for you a flu-free winter, an unexpected visit that brings laughter and rest for your worries; time enough with family, and all the love your hearts can handle, with some spilling over.

2 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Happy New Year! We're praying for great things for all of you this year! Especially that you'll get to stay home with PJ. I know how important it is!

Anonymous said...

Kathy:
Happy New Year. I'll pray that 2008 turns out much better for you and Daniel on the Job issue. But, look at what you do have. Everyone is together, you are all happy, healthy and full of love for each other. Things couldn't get much better than that I suspect.

Much Love from me and mine to you and yours!!!
Kevin